Sunday, 4 May 2014

Cultural differences 3 - Macho culture

One thing I have noticed throughout my stay in the UK is the predominant macho culture.
So many times have I found myself doing or saying something which over here is interpreted as "so European" or, from the less politically correct "so gay"...

A few random examples? I remember when I asked my colleagues where they plugged their hair driers since there were no sockets in the bathroom of the flat where I was staying when I first moved here (and it's apparently the same in all houses in the UK).
They all looked at me in shock, both guys and girls, and asked why the hell would a guy need to use a hair drier in the first place. When I tried to point out that it was winter time and a bit cold and wanted to avoid getting sick their reaction was even worse. Why would I think that? Bloody southern European! :)


Men are different over here than they are back home. Men don't go shopping. Or at least if they do it, they don't enjoy it. Or that's what they try to tell people :)
Buying clothes is something that ladies enjoy. Men just rush into a shop as quickly as possible and this only happens if you really need to buy something. 
If you have a girlfriend, chances are that she might be the one buying clothes for you. Otherwise maybe you can buy things online.

This is completely different from back home, where growing up it was completely normal to phone up a friend, and ask whether they would be interested in meeting up to go do some shopping together.
"I need to get some new jeans, if you are not busy would you like to come with me?". "Sure, I need to see some shoes too", would be a normal conversation.

And we are talking about perfectly hetero individuals (not that I have anything against homosexuals, in the least!).

Whenever I share these stories with people over here, they are not impressed. The most common comment is: "that's so gay".

An Italian friend of mine who lived in London for many years used to say that if you go out shopping in London you see: 1) ladies 2) some tourists 3) gay men.
No trace of heteros! They are probably all in the pub drinking beer and watching football :)

This fear to be taken as "gay" expands onto other aspects.
You take too much care of your self? That's gay.
I have had arguments with British men who insisted that going to a spa is gay. They would never let anyone massage them. They would not enjoy it, they say. Seriously? I just can't understand that point of view as I love going for a massage (though I admit that having a male masseur would put me off a tiny bit). 

Even the way men interact with one another is different.
When two men greet one another in Rome they would shake hands and then kiss on the cheek (it might be different in other parts of the country). That's a normal way to greet a friend when you meet them and as you are saying goodbye. Over here a handshake is more than enough.
I have once almost greeted someone over here "the roman way" and you can imagine their expression of fear :)

The funny thing is that I am starting to get accustomed to the very little physical interaction between men and when I go back home I am not a big fan of the roman way of greeting a friend anymore. I might still do it but it just feels weird.
Oh boy, am I slowly changing and  becoming more and more British every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment